Thursday, April 30, 2009

Who has manners anymore?

Since I work at a restuarant i see a number of different types of people all day long. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and one thing i noticed that a growing number all have in common: NO MANNERS. I was raised to always say yes please, no thank you, your welcome, etc, but every single day people come into my job and are down right rude. They demand that you get them a refill, shake their glass in the air to let you know they are ready for more, or even snap their fingers at me. I understand that not everyone is raised with the same values and morals, but common decency is not a lot to ask for, like saying your welcome when someone says thank you. Even when you come over to make sure that everything is going well and they "i NEED more sauce." okay you fat cow you do not NEED anything. You would LIKE to have some more sause but you do not NEED it. Back in the day(like the 50's) basically everyone had impecable manners, but as time progreesses on our youth gets less and less mannered, and more and more mean and rude. Our children expect us to wait on them hand and foot, and expect to get what they want when they want it. I think they should make it mandatory for everyone to have a manners course in elementary school, so that maybe other countries wouldnt look down on us so much. Manners are such an easy concept to grasp, and if everyone used their manners, i bet it would take a lot of hate out of our society. Not all of it, but some and the littlest step forward counts for something. So the next time you all go out to eat, please keep in mind that your waitress is working for $3.08 an hour, is waiting on you hand and foot, and their job is very stressful. Just imagine being in a room with 15 people all wanting something from you at the same time and if you do not get it all at once you loose money off of them, and they do not understand why. This may seem like a rant post more then a pop culture post, but manners are something that everyone in our society needs to have and it seems like no one really does anymore these days, so for me the next time you all go out to each just remember your pleases and thank yous, you would like to have something you do not need it, and to be a little patient with your server because they could be very busy.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutley agree with this. There are some people in this world that think they are the only ones in it and that the world owes them. They have no manners and it s all about them. What ashame that our next generation are learning that it is okay to be rude and demanding. People lose respect from me daily in public. When I go to a drive thru i do not get greeted and most of the time not one word is even said to me.....Very Rude

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. Today's people have no idea what manners are anymore. Hold a door open for someone and they blow right past you, no thank you or anything. Help someone pick up something they dropped, no thank you. It's hard to find decent people today that are able to acknowledge the fact that you should have manners. Those people who do have manners certainly stand out to me. I have no problem saying "Please" and "Thank you" and "Yes, Sir", so why is it so hard for others to have the same courtesy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this completely because I know exactly what you are talking about. My family has always been brought up to have manners wherever we are and when i head someone be rude and ask for things without please or thank you or something it really bothers me. I have never worked in a restaurant but I do work with little kids. And you will have kids yell " I NEED MORE MILK" or try and tell you what to do and it honestly really bothers me. I will constantly try to work on manners with them but it depends on the family working on them at home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree! I can't stand rude people. I wish I lived in the 50s because people were much more mannerly. My brothers burp all the time and I can't stand it. Children NEED to be taught manners, and some adults too.

    ReplyDelete