Thursday, March 12, 2009

The new sexy!

An unfortunate thing happened to me a few weeks ago....my iPod broke so I have not been able to listen to music in my car or anywhere!! As I spend most of my time in my car driving from place to place without an iPod I am stuck listening to the radio. :( To those of you who worship music like I do you understand what a tragedy this is, but one positive thing came from having to listen to countless hours of awful radio music.....I noticed a new trend in hip-hop music. More and more artists are writing songs about how sexy it is for a woman to not depend on a man for his money and status. Take this quote from Neyo's new song:

"Their Ain't Nothin thats more sexy Than the Girl Dat Wan't But Don't Need Me Young Independent Yea she work hard"

There is no need to read between the lines to figure out the message that Neyo is trying to send here. This is just one example of the types of things I have heard and trust me there have been at least 5 different songs that I have heard. I think that it is so great that hip hop artists are starting to change how they speak about the women they want around them. These lyrics are a great change from the old "big booty hoes in different area codes" that we are all accustomed to hearing. So my whole point is that if we can get more and more artists thinking this way then maybe it will spread across the whole music scene and then women will be brought back in the light in a more positive way where it should have been all along.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Recently I've been listening to the radio a whole lot, and This is a much welcome change! If I could meet the first hip hop artist that sang about an independant women, I would have to give him dapps. Besides the fact that it represents a more empowering version of woman, It also sends out a positive message to young girls to work hard and succeed. Instead of the girls spending their money on hair and makeup, they'll be more likely to strive towards a strong future/career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping that means that is the end of the "golddigger" era, that era gave some really decent women a really hard time! But for the ones who are still out there get a JOB!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah im soo done with this shes my bitch and im gonna tell her what to do crap like women are a prisioner of a man. I indeed suffer from lack of Ipod sydrome so the radio is a good place to find interesting things. I think that people are starting to come around to the idea that a person reguardless of sex age race or class can be a successful indivdual on there own. Theres more then just beauty and money... i think an education play a very importent role there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping that as they continue making songs about womens independence that it will catch on. However, the number of vulgar and disgusting songs from rappers out today far outnumber the credable and acceptable song of Neyo. It's hard to have the public buy a CD that sings about respect apparently, because the degrading songs are still being reproduced and selling by the millions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some artists have changed and do want the miss independent women. But at the same time we have artists who still worry about sex like Lil Wayne's song on the radio " I wish i could f*** every girl in the world". So i agree with perspectives changing to an extent.

    ReplyDelete